We have painstakingly scanned and typed in the text of a number of little-known Des Plaines History books so that they may reach a larger audience. With technology, you can now actually search these books for a given term - just click the down arrow, enter your term, and you'll be taken right to the page. If the text is too small to read, just take it to full screen or zoom. You can even download your own copy.
We hope you enjoy these, and if you have other historical documents, please share them with us.
Des Plaines Centennial Celebration Booklet, 1935
DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL I lit CELEBRATION RATION JUNES 25-30 tit OFFICIAL SOUVENIR PROGRAM 1835 1935 GREETINGS! FROM OUR ENTIRE ORGANIZATION 100 Years of Service in 10 PURNELL & -------------------------- WILSON INCORPORATED -- - - SERViCE .1• =1•IMP7- DES PLAINES HIGHLAND PARK DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM ......... DURING which we have constantly increased our capital and our facilities in order to care for the varied needs of a discriminating community. To the depositor we offer the protection of our long experience and our unusually heavy capital and reserves. To the investor we submit our past record with the investors of this community. To all we offer the advantages of contact with a bank large enough for departmentalized service, yet small enough for personal contact with all the officers. FIRST NATIONAL BANK DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Compliments of your 1873 Compliments of 1935 FUEL DEALERS Des Plaines COFFMAN COAL YARD Wolf Road and Belt Line R. R. Oldest Business Establishment Established 1873 PHONE 97 DES PLAINES LUMBER & COAL CO. 1000 Lee Street PHONES 26 - 36 Celebrating LAGERHAUSEN LUMBER & COAL CO. 1615 Ellinwood Street Our 62nd Year of Business in PHONE 43 MEYER COAL & MATERIAL CO. 1155 Lee Street Des Plaines PHONES 82 - 83 SIGWALT LUMBER & COAL CO. Office: 670 Graceland Avenue F. KINDER'S SONS Hardware PHONE 342 Yard: 1228 Harding Avenue 1545 Ellinwood Street Phone 86 PHONE 260-R DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 3 Congratulations Des Plaines Post No. 36 AMERICAN LEGION Organized 1919 I N 1887 a young Canadian sailed down the old Erie Canal. across the Great Lakes, and arrived at Chicago's west side river docks. Thirty minutes later he had a job. For ten years he was trained in merchandising in the then three largest State street stores, Marshall Field R Co., Mandel Bros.. and Schlessinger & Mayers. In 1897, because of ill health. he came to the small village of Des Plaines, where he lived with the late George M. Garland on Rand Road. For six months he spent his time riding a bicycle to gain hack good health. Soon he opened a small dry goods and clothing store in the Parsons building, which was next to the town hall. From there he moved across to the Behmiller building on Miner street and finally in 1900 he purchased from William Meyer the corner of Pearson and Miner street where he built . . . . B DOWN'S D EPARTM ENT STORE For thirty-eight years C. W. M. Brown has successfully served this community and now his son, C. W. M. Brown, Jr.. has stepped in to couple his young ideas with his father's experience — a combination which insures a modern store for Des Plaines. MALLORY HATS WILSON BROS. HABERDASHERY F. J. SVOBODA'S SONS 1922 - 1933 Clothiers — Haberdashers — Tailors 1440 MINER STREET DES PLAINES 4 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL. PROGRAM 00d e VS INSTALL Home now Owners for Compliments of u. It's the ESTABLISHED 1900 BIGGEST NEWS OF THE YEAR Here's the biggest modernization opportunity ever offered—You can take advantage of low summer prices now to install new American Radiator Heating—and you don't pay a cent until Fall—no interest charges—no extra charges. You can wait until Fall to pay a little each month on FHA terms. You want new heating for next Winter. Let us install it now, before the rush season. You get the advantage of current prices—yet you don't start paying till Fall. Let us explain the details! Plumbing and Heating 721 Pearson Street Phone 369, W C. L. BISHOP 35th YEAR of SERVICE Compliments of REXSES CASH MARKET ................ 1436 MINER STREET Phone 522 SUGAR BOWL SWEET SHOP 1494 Miner Street DES PLAINES RESTAURANT 1494 Miner Street CYPRESS CAFE 1492 Miner Street ECHO THEATRE Never Over 15c Admission •••••••••••••••• Nothing but Swift's Stamped Beef Sold at This Market Every Friday and Saturday, 5c and 10c Double Feature manDES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 5 FOREWORD HE Des Plaines Lions Club early ill 1934 started making plans for a celebration of Des Plaines' centenary, and later appointed committees of prominent Des Plaines citizens to aid in the formation of plans. An executive committee of fourteen leading citizens, now formed a corporation, known as Des Plaines Centennial, Inc., to carry on the ground work of the Centennial. This committee net regularly for weeks and finally appointed committees to work with them in realizing a successful celebration. The committees have labored hard and long. They have had the gracious support and cooperation of our many civic, service, professional and patriotic organizations. It was this gracious enthusiasm which gave us the courage to undertake the presentation of a great historic pageant, in addition to the other celebration features. The volunteer office help must be thanked for fine work. Mrs. Audrey Wickner, Violet Butenschoen, Gilbert Lemke, Sophia Shelfo, Ilva Bartolomi, Mildred Eisenbeis and Katherine Bayer were the willing workers. Through the pageant and celebration features we present to you, the community, a dramatization of the outstanding events of our one hundred years of history and progress. We hope that you will remember our entire centennial celebration with pleasure and profit. Walter C. Oehler, General Chairman. Murray S. Smith, Program Chairman. IN OUR FIRST YEAR WE CONGRATULATE DES PLAINES ON IT'S 100th Anklets Silk Hosiery Play Suits Wash Frocks Rayon Lingerie The BEN FRANKLIN 5c, 10c to $1.00 720 Center St. A. H. Calderwood, Owner You'll Find It Enjoyable and Profitable to Counter-shop Here DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM WALTER C. OEHLER, President Standing, left to right: P. E. Flaminio, Treas.; R. C. Wille, Secy.; A. W. Barwick; E. J Kehe; Otto Henrich; F. A. Nelson. Seated, left to right: K. Meyer, attorney; W. C. Oehler, Pres.; R. W. Schulze; C. J. Hill; A. W. Collignon; L. E. Manuel. Not in picture-A. M. Purves, C. L. Bishop. DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION COMMITTEES FINANCE COMMITTEE—P. E. Flaminio, chairman ; Fred A. Leasing, Harold Ahbe. H. Kehe, D. Schubert, Grace Rexses, Pearl Koelling, E. Dean, Violet Franzen. PUBLICITY COMMITTEE — Fred A. Nelson. chairman; H. Sigwalt, F. Koehler, W. L. Fabian. Chas. Garland, Kate Wuerttemberger, Mrs. L. Detwiler, Mrs. L. Terry, Einar Anderson. PROGRAM COMMITTEE — Murray S. Smith, chairman; Mrs. C. Leis, Geo. Eck, Marian Hodgins. W. Dopheide. Chas. Nimtz, Mrs. A. E. Wilson. Mrs. Frank Gorsline. TICKET COMMITTEE—L. Detwiler, chairman: Mrs. Chas. Mahn, Mrs. R. Keedy, Mrs. E. H. Schalk. Arthur Larson, E. R. Selleck, Tony Nilles, Arthur Rieck, C. H. Yates. Helen Meyer, Mrs. F. Marietta. COSTUME COMMITTEE — Mrs. Geo. Kinder. chairman: Mrs. C. J. Hill, Mrs. A. F. Longren, Mrs. L. Hildebrandt, Mrs. C. W. M. Brown, Mrs. H. Kehe, Mrs. F. Hess. PARADE COMMITTEE—W. B. Melzer, chairman; Axel Petterson, A. Paroubek, F. Wolf, A. Lanetot, W. T. Poyer, F. Svoboda, Wm. Ladendorf. F. A. Fulle, Geo. Gould. Al Blume. MUSIC COMMITTEE—H. T. Bennett. chairman: R. A. Seabury, A. L. Webster. F. M. Vierow, E. A. Frederick. Mrs. H. W. Duning. Mrs. Bert Bennett, Mrs. Frank Eash, Mrs. F. Borchers. POPULARITY COMMITTEE—Dr. E. V. Sergeant, chairman ; C. W. Brown, Jr., Mrs. H. Sigwait, Mrs. M. G. Opper, Mrs. W. Poyer, Walter Morava. TALENT COMMITTEE Mrs. Mildred Krueger, chairman; T. R. Foulkes, Mrs. E. Kehe, Mrs. Ella Raymond. Mrs. Georgia Thornton. CONCESSION COMMITTEE — Al Winkelman. chairman ; J. Redman, J. Kalal. PROPERTY AND GROUNDS COMMITTEE — Art Rieck, chairman ; Del Townsend. Art Korsgard, B. L. Franzen, Geo. Lagerhausen, 0. Blume, Chas. Lewerenz. H. A. Becker, H. 0. Marietta. PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEM—J. J. Healy. Ed Gernhardt. HOMECOMING COMMITTEE—Rev. A. W. Barwick, chairman : Rev. P. T. Bohl. Rev. G. W. Goebel, Rev. J. Linden. Rev. 0. C. A. Boecler. Rev. W. R. Faust, Rev. L. G. Bald. Geo. C. Rucks taetter. CHILDREN'S PET PARADE AND COSTUME COMMITTEE — Walter Pflughaupt. chairman: Ralph Zimmerman, Frank Leeb, Ed Cook, Cliff Carlson. RELICS AND ANTIQUES — Harley Schlagel chairman: Mrs. Henry Haas. Mrs. Schuler, Mrs. Al Fritz. Mrs. Edith Jefferson, Miss Hazel Poyer, Miss Mary O'Donnell, Mrs. John Blaine. Mrs. Helen Hanlon. CENTENNIAL PALL COMMITTEE—Walter Dopheide, chairman: Dr. Pett. Dana Schubert. OLD SETTLERS COMMITTEE—Mrs. W. H. Tallant, Dr. Earle. OLD FIDDLER::,' COMMITTEE—Mrs. Ella Ray mond. DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL. PROGRAM 7 The Des Plaines City Council 1935-1937 Edgar J. Friedrich Clerk George W. Kinder Mayor Otto W. J. Henrich Treasurer H. A. Ahbe Alderman Jim Carroll Alderman Fred A. Fulle Alderman G. W. Pflughaupt Alderman C. L. Bishop Alderman E. D. MacLuckie Alderman E. A. Frederick Alderman John Lemke Alderman T. Schwanbeck Alderman Sam Campagna Alderman The Des Plaines Park District 1935-1937 Harry O. Marietta, President Edd R. Schlagel, Secretary Axel D. Petterson : Alvin H. Kuhlman : Eugene Landry : Elmer Blume Harry O. Marietta, President Thanks to the helpful co-operation of the Des Plaines Park District board, led by Harry O. Marietta, the Centennial has been able to use the Earle Field for the Pageant. The Park Board's assistance has been most valuable in the creation of this Centennial program. 8 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Compliments of Specialists on Bodies - Fenders and Radiator Repairs Welding Duco Painting Frames and Axles Straightened by Latest Mechanical Devices The oldest shoe store in Des Plaines Established 1920 -UNION SHOE STORE REPAIR CO. J. MILITELLO Phone 369-R "Home Trading Increases Home Prosperity" 1549 Ellinwood Street ADVERTISE THE MODERN WAY UNIQUE FLOAT & DECORATING CO. R. E. HAYNES Designers and Builders of Floats, Flags and Banners for All Occasions : Confetti, Serpentine, Novelties, Noisemakers : Specializing in Halls, Booths, Cafes & Bar Rooms PHONE 660 Office and Works 837 Center Street Des Plaines 4400 Malden Ave., Chicago. Ravenswood 3453 CONGRATULATIONS! We are proud of the small part we have played in the history of Des Plaines. For the next 100 years we hope to continue our dependable, courteous service to Des Plaines housewives. COMPLIMENTS OF THE SUBURBAN DAIRY A. W. COLLIGNON, Prop. The only home-owned Dairy operating in Des Plaines — Our motto - QUALITY and SERVICE We aim to please our customers 365 days a year Our bottling plant, located at 1307 Oakwood avenue, is open for inspection at all times. FOR SERVICE — PHONE DES PLAINES 841 GORDON DRY CLEANERS 1387 Ellinwood Street Phone 400 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 9 City of Des Plaines, Illinois Mayor's Office A Proclamation Mayor GEO. W. KINDER TO THE CITIZENS OF DES PLAINES, COOK COUNTY, AND THE NEARBY CITIES AND TOWNS: On June 25-30, 1935, Des Plaines is celebrating its 100 years of history and growth with a gala week of pageantry, parades, concerts, exhibits, dancing, and carnival of fun. As Mayor of the City of Des Plaines it is my pleasure to recommend this entire program to the citizens of this area and to urge from you whole-hearted support and co-operation therein. It is, therefore, my pleasure, as Mayor of the City of Des Plaines, to proclaim the week of June 25-30, as Des Plaines' Centennial Celebration. Respectfully submitted to our citizens this 4th day of June, 1935. CITY OF DES PLAINES, By Geo. W. Kinder, Mayor. Des Plaines' First "Bus" in 1895 This picture shows the first "bus" of the United Motor Coach company and dates back to the "gay nineties." Back in the early days the late Dr. E. A. Manuel, founder, rigged up this surrey with extra seats. Two horses were the locomotive power. The bus was used primarily for picnics and private parties. The group are Park Ridge pioneers. ■ 10 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 1935 PRAIRIE- LEE PHARMACY Hydrox Ice Cream Candy Cigars Kodaks Films Stationery Albert W. Rieker, R.Ph.G. That people may be healthier Quality. Service and Courtesy Antitoxins Chemicals Trusses Belts Rubber Stockings Etc. 1929 13 YEARS OF HONEST DEALINGS MUENCH PHARMACY INCORPORATED THE OLDEST DRUG STORE IN DES PLAINES 722 Lee Street PHONE 855 PRESCRIPTIONS Compliments of 718 Center Street Telephone 79 DES PLAINES AGENCY, Inc. 622 Lee Street ALL TYPES OF INSURANCE Physicians Directory The following physicians are legally qualified to practice medicine and surgery and are members of the Chicago Medical Society. Dentist D irectory The following dentists are legally qualified to practice dentistry in all its forms and are members of the Chicago, State and National Dental societies. DR. A. M. PURVES Res. and Office 733 Lee St. PHONE 261 DR. J. F. HELLER Office 678 Lee St. Office and Res. Ph. 145-J DR. EDWARD MIERS Res. and office 737 Pearson PHONE 631 DR. W. T. 'POYER Office 1547 Ellinwood St. PHONE 122-R DR. J. KRUEGER Res. and office 823 Center PHONE 40 DR. C. J. HILL Office 706 Center St. PHONE 301-1 DR. HOWARD D. BLUE Optometric Eye Specialist Hours by appointment 706 Center St. DR. HENRY HELLER Tel. 846-J Office 678 Lee St. Office and Res. Phone 7 DR. R. W. SCHULZE Office 1498 Miner St. PHONE 55:3 DR. A. A. FUHLBRIGGE Office and Residence 7201/2 Center Street Phone 76 DR. A. NAFFZIGER Office and Res. 721 Center PHONE 136 Res. Phone Village 6421 DR. J. D. PETT Office State Bank Bldg. PHONE 11 DR. A. HARMENING Veterinarian N. E. Corner River and Rand Roads Phone 154-J DR. E. A. BREDLAU Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat 201 State Bank Bldg. PHONE 11 DR. J. M. HANNON Office 1434 Miner St. PHONE 279-J DR. E. V. SERGEANT Osteopathic Physician 716 1/2 Center Street Tel. 311-R DR. C. A. EARLE Office 725 Des Plaines Ave. PHONE 1 DR. N. K. LAIRD Office 680 Lee St. PHONE 679-M DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 11 Pictures At Random Of Des Plaines Out for a spin at about 15 miles per hour bark in 1913. 50 years ago the Catholics decided to have a new church so Messrs. McGinnis, Behmiller and Gallagher put the Arlington Heights church on two flat ears and moved it to Thacker street. Swimming in the Des Plaines river was a favorite sport in 1910. Ed "Tack Nagel is the diver. - The City Hall as it appeared in 1914 and previously. Looking North on Pearson street more than 20 years ago. The beautiful Des Plaines river now affords recreation to sportsmen. whereas 100 years ago it was the hunting ground of the Indians. This was no one-horse town 30 years ago. Miner street looking west from Pearson. 12 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM "The Old Original Candy Kitchen" Nine Years Service 1928 Compliments of 1935 Des Plaines Candy Kitchen Gil and Andy 515 Ellinwood Street Telephone 41 F. W. Woolworth Co. chrafft's Candies Beer 1471 Ellinwood Street Des Plaines MONEY TO Compliments of LOAN TO KEHE MARKET 1517 Ellinwood Street Phone 489 YOU MAINE SECURITIES COMPANY Kinder Building Des Plaines Phone 31 "The House of Quality Meats" 1920 1935 Compliments of WITH COMPLIMENTS AND BEST WISHES Des Plaines Oldest Established Meat Market 1921 1883 LOUIS KRAFT WEGNER'S 1430 Keeney Avenue GROCERY — MARKET 1921 1935 QUALITY MARKET ANTON THUEY, Proprietor 659 Pearson Street Telephone 84 Compliments of Welcome! Centennial Visitors Are Invited to Spend a Pleasant Evening in Our New PRAIRIE MEAT MARKET 1059 Prairie Avenue Telephone 12 MAINE CAFE 1486 Miner Street Try Our Blue Plate Dinner Blatz Beer Liquors SQUARE DEAL SHOE STORE L. CAPAllOLI 1520 Miner Street Compliments Des Plaines JOHN KERN High Grade Meats for 15 Years DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 13 OFFICIAL PROGRAM Des Plaines Centennial Celebration June 25-30 Inclusive TUESDAY, JUNE 25 7:30 P. M Big Centennial Parade The Centennial Parade will be held in the downtown streets of Des Plaines terminating in front of the Reviewing stand where Miss Des Plaines will be assisted to review the remainder of the Parade. Prizes are being offered for various types of floats and drum and bugle corps. Three official bombs will be set off before the parade to denote the official opening of the Centennial. Chairman--W. B. Melzer 9 P. M. Coronation of Miss Des Plaines Miss Des Plaines with Miss Columbia and the Court of Honor will receive the official Crown presented by Mayor Kinder and Chairman of The Court of Honor Contest. A very impressive ceremony which no one will want to miss to be held at the Reviewing Stand after the Parade. Chairman—Dr. E. V. Sergeant WEDNESDAY, JUNE 26 Des Plaines Historical Pageant 8:15 P. M. This Pageant which has a cast of 500 local people from Des Plaines and vicinity will depict in a series of episodes the History of Des Plaines from 100 years ago till the present time. It is staged by Wayne Lemmon, representing the John B. Rogers Producing Company of Fostoria, Ohio, who staged most of the largest Pageants in the country. This is a form of entertainment that is not only entertaining but authentic in its History and of a real educational value, particularly to children and all interested in the past development of their home community. The Pageant is presented at Earle Field, starting Wednesday night, with the final performance Saturday night. General admission 50 cents, children under 12, 25 cents. A section of reserve seats are being sold at 75 cents. In the event of rain or had weather, the Pageant is produced on the next clear night. Seats are now on sale by the cast and committee. This is an event of the Centennial week that you can not afford to miss. THURSDAY, JUNE 27 Old Settlers Dinner, Congregational Church 6:30 P. M. Registrations have been made of all the local residents, in order to find the Old Settlers and invitations have been sent out to a dinner for them. Many novel surprises are in store for the Old Settlers who attend this banquet. The committee asks that all those attending this dinner will wear Old Costumes, if at all possible, so as to lend to the general fun and enjoyment. Tickets for this dinner are 50 cents and all Old Settlers are urged to make their reservations through the Old Settlers Committee Chairman, Mrs. W. H. Tallant. 8:15 P. M., Earle Field Historical Pageant FRIDAY, JUNE 28 7:30 P. M., Earle Field Old Fiddlers' Contest The Old Fiddlers' Contest will be run as a feature before the Pageant on Friday night. Admission to the Pageant Grounds for the Pageant will admit anyone to the Old Fiddlers' Contest. Many entries have been received and this feature promises to he a very entertaining one. Chairman—Mrs. Ella Raymond 8:15 P. M., Earle Field Historical Pageant SATURDAY, JUNE 29 Old Fashioned Muzzle Loading Rifle and Pistol Match 4 P. M. One of the greatest sporting events of the early pioneers was the old time rifle matches. It is proposed to hold these matches using the same type of guns. No entry fee is required. All Rifles must he of the muzzle loading or "cap and ball" type. The course of fire for the rifles will he five shots standing at 60 yards and five shots prone with rest at 100 yards. The "cap and ball" revolver match will be fired on the standard 50 yard American revolver target at a range of 25 yards. The course of fire will be ten shots. Members of the Des Plaines Legion club will supervise and conduct the match. Three high men in each event to receive prize. Anyone is eligible to compete in this match. Those interested get in touch with Dr. C. J. Hill. Kiddies Pet and Costume Parade 2 P. M. This parade will have a short line of march and will feature all the kiddies of the town who have pets. All grammar school and Junior High School children are eligible. Four valuable prizes will be awarded. After the parade all contestants will he guests of the Des Plaines Theater for the afternoon matinee. All Des Plaines kiddies are urged to register their names with the committee, Walter Pflughaupt, chairman. Historical Pageant, Final Performance 8:15 P. M. Earle Field Centennial Ball 10:30 P. M. to 1 A. M. The Centennial Ball will be held at the Maine Township High School Gymnasium. Music to be furnished by Mel Borchard's Orchestra, and arrangements are made for talented entertainers in addition to the dance music. The Grand March is to be led by Mayor Kinder and will take place at midnight. Tickets will he 50 cents per person. Queen and her Court of Honor will be the honored guests of the Centennial Ball. Chairman — Walter Dopheide SUNDAY, JUNE 30 Home Coming Church Day 10:45 A. M. All people are urged to attend the Church in which they first received membership in Des Plaines so as to prove that they have not forgotten their original Church Homes. Chairman—Reverend A. W. Barwick Band Concert and Song Festival 3 P. M. Music by the Elk's band, chorus vocal music and community singing will be featured. This will he the concluding feature of the Des Plaines Centennial. EVERY NIGHT THE STREET OF FUN Rides - Bingo — Games The Committee has endeavored to make this street of fun as clean and wholesome as possible. All games of chance, such as Bingo, and so forth are sponsored by local organizations. The proceeds of which go for local charity. A. L. Winkelman, chairman. During Centennial week, you are urged to view the various displays of antiques and relics that are being shown in the local stores. If you have any antiques of special interest to Des Plaines people you are urged to get in touch immediately with the Chairman of the Committee. Chairman--Harley Schlagel 1 t DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM COMPLIMENTS Jacobson's Mens store (Formerly the Army Store) Frank A. Bremer & on "Des Plaines' Leading Stationer and Office Outfitter" Complete Outfitters in Men's Work and Dress Clothes Since 1925 148C Miner Street (2 doors east of theatre) COMPLIMENTS OF EVERYTHING TO DRINK WHOLESALE OAKWOOD DAIRY 977 Center Street Telephone 945-M NORTH-WEST BEVERAGE Co. Rand Road at Hawthorne Lane Des Plaines, Ill. Phone 678 COMPLIMENTS 1921 1935 Gould and Reinert PAINTING : : DECORATING Meltzer Auto Saks, Inc. 7C4-18 River Road Phone 205-J " Always SIGN PAINTING Des Plaines Tel. 438-R : 3047-M the Best '' 22 years of honest dealings in Des Plaines Dodge and Plymouth Motor Cars JULIUS G ()SS IF, 110 \ 3640 Chicago Avenue, Chicago Buyers of : WASTE PAPER : SCRAP IRON : METALS DODGE TRUCKS DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 15 Historical Pageant of Des Plaines (This History will be read by the narrators during the Pageant, with slight changes due to dramatic necessity and to preserve the continuity of the scenes). PROLOGUE — Episode I The prologue is self-explanatory and will he done without narrations. Miss Des Plaines and her attendants will come forward and make a speech of welcome. Miss Columbia, attended by 48 states, arrives and accepts Miss Des Plaines and the Historical Pageant as an important event in the History of the State of Illinois and the states of the nation. They are escorted by a guard to the Court of Honor, where they review the entire Pageant. CREATION BALLET - Episode II In this ballet the effort is made to portray the Dawn of Creation, out of which comes sky, land and flowers. First appearing is the Creation Ballet group followed by sky, land and flowers, pictured by three different groups, sky, land and flowers being the product of Creation and all form the latter part of the ballet together, to depict the coordination of these elements into a sensible order to make the existence of mankind possible. Indian country at that time was travelled by a great many white traders who did a very profitable business in skins and furs with the Indian tribes of the United States. Notice that the squaws did all the menial labor of the camp, such as carrying the equipment and setting up camp while the braves were expected to provide food and protection from other tribes. In the front part of the set you will notice a group of Indian braves in some sort of a game. They are gambling in a primitive fashion. An argument arises between two of the braves and one accuses the other of cheating. The Chief persuades the two braves who are the principals of the disturbance to settle the argument by an athletic race rather than a physical combat which is done, and the winner of the race is considered the winner of the argument. As the white trader enters we notice that all the braves salute while the trader goes to the Chief, and, customary to the usual Indian tradition is asked to smoke the pipe of peace. This white trader was the forerunner of our travelling salesman and perhaps told them stories of other settlements and of the wonders of the white man civilization of the East. He succeeds in making a trade of some bright red cloth and a few cheap trinkets for the valuable furs and hides that the Indians have. This is no more than the customary thing among the traders and the Indians, as the Indians placed great value on bright colored ornaments and clothing which the traders brought them. With the white trader, and sitting a little aside, is a government agent who, with the help of the trader, persuades the tribes that there is far more abundant field for hunting and trapping and raising small crops in the yet undeveloped land in the territory which is now Kansas, and between the two white men's arguments and powers of persuasion, the Chiefs decide that they will order camp broken and start on the long trip to the more plentiful hunting ground. They explain to the braves what has taken place between the white men and the chiefs and they are to break camp. They go, not feeling as if they have been driven out, hut rather that they are improving their living conditions by finding territory further West. Before they leave, however, they do a short ceremonial dance as the squaws and children break up the camp. The white men leave as friends of the tribe and receive the customary salute. WILDERNESS BALLET — Episode IV This part of the country after the Indians had left was still very much of a wilderness. There were no roads, no bridges, no means of communication with the outer world. Those who first followed the red man would have to conquer the wilderness, cut down the timber of the forest, bridge the rivers and plan their farming to meet the various climate situations. In this ballet an effort is made to depict the Spirit of the Wilderness with the groups of the Powers of the Forest and of the Rivers and the Mist Maidens which signify climate. The Powers of the Forest and the Rivers and the Mist Maidens dance together to show their complete control of this territory. The Spirit of the Wilderness is pictured by a soloist which dances with joy unconfined in the midst of the various Powers of the Wilderness. This scene must he accepted as an allegorical one and is given to bring to your mind a vivid picture of the barriers that confronted the brave settlers who attempted to make this territory livable for the white man. (Continued on page 17) EARLY INDIAN CAMP LIFE — Episode III When this land was first explored it was inhabited by the Red Man: where they came from, how long they dwelt in North America, and what people they replaced, is a matter of much dispute. They cultivated the soil very little and depended almost entirely on the chase as a means of livelihood. Hunting, fishing and dancing constituted their enjoyments. Their two great interests in life were to secure food and devour it, and to subdue their enemies. The Indians who roamed this country in and around Des Plaines were the Pottawatomies, Ottawas, and Chippewas. The Pottawatomies came into Illinois from Wisconsin and the Ottawas and Chipewas from north and east, particularly from what is now the State of Michigan. The three tribes were united under two chiefs, and for the most part these Indians were rather superior in type and generally friendly to the White Man. They did take part in some of the Indian troubles of the early pioneer days of Illinois but they were divided during the Fort Dearborn massacre, some of them giving aid to the White Man. These Indians were located in this vicinity for over two centuries prior to the time of 1836. The Indians we are picturing here are preparing for a meeting with one of the first white traders whose name is unknown. The 16 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM We Are Proud that Des Plaines' 100th and Our 16th Anniversary Finds Us In Our New Home Devoted Exclusively to Funeral Services . . . located in a quiet yet easily reached residential section of Des Plaines; the home stands in a dignified setting of shrubs and trees. Its impressive size is balanced by the simple but adequate architectural design of a famous architect. For all the people it is truly representative of the finest in the mortuary profession and is perfectly fitted to care for a funeral service as a private gathering or as a public ceremony. DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 17 (Combined from page 15') FIRST SETTLERS — Episode V Here come the White Men, the Pioneers of Des Plaines. They are preceded by a scout who has been searching for days for a suitable spot of land that would have facilities for water and food and fertile land on which to grow crops. The covered wagon was their mode of transportation and often two families were crowded into one wagon, in order to save the expense of additional equipment. Life in those days was no thing of pleasure, yet the hardy men who made up the Pioneers of this district were full of courage, ambition and a dream of the possibilities of the future Des Plaines. The first early settlers came here in 1833, and settled along the west bank of the Des Plaines river (it was then called Aux Plaines). They were: Mr. Brooks, Mansel Talcott, John B. Foot, J. W. Walton, A. FL Conant, Gen. Peet, Mr. Allison, Mr. Parsons and Mr. Kennicott. In 1835 came James Long, Judge Hoard and Mr. Rand; in '36 Conner and Jones; in 1839 came Capt. Sabin, Joseph Jefferson and son Hiram, Mr. Ockerby and Mr. Barchard; in 1840 Mr. Thacker, Luther Jefferson and sons, George and Stephen, Geo. Babcock, who located where Feehanville now stands. swooped down upon their little camp in an effort to frighten, the settlers away. Where this tribe came from is not known, but it is presumed that it was a small hand of a traveling tribe who as a matter of self preservation endeavored to frighten away the small settlers' groups in this territory, in order to have this land for themselves. They were unarmed as they had already been warned by the government that further disturbances on their part, and if they in any way bothered the white settlers, the National Army would be called in to put them back onto reservations. This visiting party of Indians naturally frightened the first settlers almost to the point of terror ,but inasmuch as they saw that the Indians were unarmed, they made no effort to excite them further by firing at them with their muskets. After the Indians had thought they had put sufficient fright into the settlers, they rode off with their customary blood-curdling yells. Our first settlers were undaunted, however, and knew that their Federal Government was behind them in the matter of land grants and protection against the Indians. They resolved to make this clearing their new home. Episode VI There are a great many outstanding events in the past history of Des Plaines that are important in its development The Rand homestead was at Geo. Hills' present home. Judge Hoard settled on the farm lately owned by J. H. Coons, north of this town. Stephen Thacker lived south and some distance back of Mr. Minnich's present home on Ellinwood street. It may be interesting to know where some of the old landmarks are in this vicinity. The Jeffersons are on the same old spot their grandfather located on in 1839. Because of the hardships very little ceremony was used in putting food before the people who had ridden through almost impassable woods and trails for days and days on end. The quickest and the simplest way was as you see pictured here. Although the food was simple, it was greatly appreciated by the settlers and several helpings were usually ordered. However, not every day nor every meal brought second helpings because all food had to be hunted down by the men of the party, and the survival of the hardy families was entirely dependent upon what the men could find in the fields and the streams. The rugged out-door life of the pioneer did much to provide him with a constitution strong enough to ward off any illnesses and minor injuries; very few people were on the sick list at any time. About the time the scout and the leaders had decided that this would he a suitable location for a settlement, a small band of strange Indians through the years. An effort is made here to show you some of them in as nearly as possible their natural setting. It must be remembered, however, that these various outstanding event:: took place over quite a period of years, as for example in 1836. One year after the coming of the first old settlers, the first church service was held in Des Plaines at the home of Mr. Wallace, about a mile north of this town. The church service was conducted by a young man named Colson; a minister sent from the southern part of the state, this town being one of the number on his circuit. He was on this circuit about two years and it was so large that he only came here about once a month. The members of this church were Mrs. (Continued on page 21) 18 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM With Compliments and Best Wishes to the Pioneers of Our Beautiful City May the Next 100 Years Be As Successful GOULD'S FOOD SHO P TABLE LUXURIES —:— FREE DELIVERIES Phone 59 685 Lee Street The ELL-SEE SHOP Elsie Traub Compliments of MILLINERY LINGERIE DRESSES HOSIERY Hewitt, Florist 1000 Des Plaines Avenue Telephone 546 705 Center Street Des Plaines 1892 - 1935 Compliments of 43 Years of Honest Community Service BAUSKE BROS. Wholesale Florists JOHN KRAY JEWELER Mannheim Road 1921 Compliments of 1935 JOH NSON'S Sporting Goods Everything Electrical HUCK'S GROCERY and MARKET 1006 Prairie Avenue "The West Side's Old Timer" FRIGIDAIRE and NORGE REFRIGERATORS 1470 Miner Street Telephone 580-J DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 19 Des Plaines 20 Years Ago Today! A movie publicity writer would call this stupendous, astounding, amazing—and back in 1914 when this July 4thpardeocu nMirStehavsproblywegatimprsdwht ecal!You can gee the First National Bank and other business houses in the background. John Suster leads the parade The same year—the same street—the opposite direction. This photograph shows Miner Street looking West. 20 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM The World's Largest Store Has Served the People of Des Plaines for 48 Years Shop at Sears and Save Sears, Roebuck 1502 Main Street, Des Plaines and Co Store Hours: 8 A. M. to 6 P. M. Daily; 8 A. M.to 9 P. M. Saturday Telephone 831 1924 Compliments 1935 Compliments of PESCHE'S RIVER ROAD 1 Block Ncrth of Rand Road J. R. Wesley SERVICE STATION 1220 Miner Street Phone 86 Compliments of Compliments of IDELLA SHOE SHOP M. Aiello MIRROR CLEANERS and Dyers, Inc. N. W. Suburban's Outstanding Cleaner Geo. Burman, Mgr. 722 Center Street Phone 340-W 977 Lee Street Telephone 25 THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS WERE THE HARDEST NOW LET'S ALL BE DES PLAINES BOOSTERS AND DES PLAINES WILL PROGRESS FOREVER BUFFET BEER — WINE — LIQUOR SANDWICHES 1134 PRAIRIE AVENUE CIGARS — CIGARETTES — TOBACCO PHONE 870 DES PLAINES, ILLINOIS MAZUR ANNEX DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 21 (Continued from page 17) Walter and Mrs. Conners; afterward Mrs. Johnstone and Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey joined. The next on the circuit were Mr. Jewett and Mr. Hinman, two of the most earnest and prominent early Methodist preachers. About this time the church was increased by the advent of Mr. and Mrs. Holten, Mr. and Mrs. Burlingame, Mrs. Ballard, Mrs. Jones and Mary Jefferson. It can readily be seen that together with courage and vision the early settlers here had a strong conviction that religion and the worship of God played an important part in their lives. Considering the fact that scarcely a year had passed, and this year was unquestionably a busy one, for homes had to be built, supplies gathered against the winter, and many other duties that were necessary to maintain even a meager existence, had to be performed; yet the desire for guidance along religious lines was predominant in the minds of all the leaders. The first service was not a long one and yet it keyed the fervor of the settlers to a higher level, that of a prayer of thanksgiving for their survival through their many hardships that the first year had brought about. A prayer was led by the young minister and a hymn hung at the close of the service. Episode VII Some months later in the next year was the first wedding in Des Plaines. This was a celebration that was not forgotten for a good long time by all those attending. The first couple to be married in Des Plaines was Betsy Kelsy and Augustus Conant. Their marriage ceremony was performed in teen scholars attended. A school was taught at the south end of the settlement about the same time in an upper room of Luther Jefferson's home and was taught by jerusha Walton, mother of the Luce boys. It was afterwards taught by Mary Jefferson in her father's home. The first school house was built about that time, northeast of the present site on the property now owned by Wm. Rexses. Some of the teachers of the early days were: Orvis Skinner, Orlando Talcott, Robert Meacham and Orlando Alger. The first trustees of schools were: Eben Conant, Seth Otis, Joseph Jefferson and Alexander Brown. The number of children in this district in 1841 was 35. The first school was at best a makeshift proposition and the pupils attended because their parents made an honest effort to see that their children were given the only possible means of education. This was back in the days when desks and good equipment were out of the question. A bench and a blackboard were the only equipment the teacher had to work with. School begins at 9 o'clock after some of the children had walked distances of three to five miles to get there and of course, roll call was taken and an attempt made to keep some sort of record of the children's standings. It was back in the days of the dunce cap and the rule: "Spare the rod and spoil the child" was still in effect. This first school as you can see was a far cry from the magnificent buildings with their swimming pools, manual training shops, gymnasium and recreation equipment that we have today. The mischievous boy was handled without much ceremony and the punishment although not severe was usually quite sufficient. Episode IX In the fall of 1854, the occasion of the arrival of the first train on the newly built Illinois and Wisconsin Railroad was one of great celebration for the people of the village. People for many miles around came by foot, by horseback and by buck-board wagon to celebrate the event and to welcome the railroad officials who joined in the festivities. A short speech was made by one of the officials and the villagers gathered around the new "iron horse" to inspect it as a great many of them were seeing their first railroad train. After the speech by the official, the train leaves amid great cheering. And here, ladies and gentlemen, is Des Plaine's first commuter. He and his descendants have been running for that morning train ever since. Now that the train has left the villagers all join in an impromptu dance to give vent to their joyful feelings that transportation and mail would be given to them with quite regular services. Episode X James Long's log cabin, May 12, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Long were the pioneer host and hostess and acted as master and mistress of ceremonies and the people flocked from miles around to attend the celebration. After the ceremony, the bride and groom came in for some playful handling on the part of the guests but all is done in the spirit of fun and revelry and much free advice and counsel was given to the newly wedded couple which they accepted in the spirit in which it was given. A carriage arrives and takes the happy married couple away on their honeymoon as the party breaks up. FIRST SCHOOL HOUSE — Episode VIII "Grave is the master's look; his forehead wears, Deep rows of wrinkles, prints of worrying cares, Heavy lies the head of he who rules; Him, worst of all, whose kingdom is a school." The first educational institution in Des Plaines was a private school conducted in a cheese room, belonging to Socrates Rand. His daughter, Harriet Rand, was the first teacher. They had a room 10 by 12 renovated for a school room, which had formerly been used as a cheese room. About fif- For the sake of continuity, we will explain that a great many German families came here from Germany and the eastern part of the United States in 1850 and 1860. They were greeted by the villagers and were looked upon quite curiously because of their costumes and manners. The coming of these German people eventually meant a great deal to Des Plaines because their thrift and perseverance were a great help in the progress and developmnt of this community. The leaders of the village greeted the leaders of the German families and explained to them the advantages of settling in Des Plaines. The German folk, although good sturdy pioneers, were also a jolly lot and enjoyed festivities. They were asked by the local people to show them some of the German dances which they obliged by doing the old fashioned German waltz. The German people then described their lives in the old country and described a picture of the German folk dance which we see pictured by the German girls who are now dancing. Needless to say the German people had very strong religious convictions, so we take you now to the scene of the laying of the corner stone of the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran church in 1876. The original church was a brick build(Continued on page 27) 22 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Sales and 716 Pearson Street REO HUDSON Service Telephone 1000 I ERRAPLANE Compliments of the DES PLAINES LIONS CLUB Sponsors of the Centennial 1926 1935 Congratulations from Des Plaines Lodge No. 1526 Compliments of IDES PLAINES POST No. 2919 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 23 Remember Away Back When? 0 s - r .stittirVcrrgriVrtY' --- Thoma House was our only hostelry and stood prominately on Miner Street? This old land-mark was quite an antique until wrecked for more modern buildings. ,Cr The Des Plaines River was spanned by wooden railway and foot bridges. FIRST NAT The old Moldenhauer homestead was a landmark for years Above: For years the Suburban Times was published in this build' ing, now a pert of the bank. Left: The Kinder hardware store as it appeared some Looking north across the C. & N. W. right-of-way from Ellinwood, we see the 20 years ago. old Thoma House, and the depot and water tank. 24 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 1 9 0 4 1 9 3 5 INTERESTING HISTORICAL NOTES ON TELEPHONE DEVELOPMENT IN DES PLAINES N 1897 the Chicago Bell Telephone Company (Bell System) received franchise rights from the Village Board of Trustees to build and operate a telephone system in Des Plaines, Ill., whereupon they erected a plant, installing 25 or 30 stations in Des Plaines. In the winter of 1900-'1 the F. E. Bell Telephone Co. started erecting a telephone plant to compete with the Chicago Telephone Company's system. In the spring of 1901, Mr. F. E. Bell, who controlled the stock and management of the F. E. Bell Tel. Co., sold a controlling interest in the company to Messrs. B. F. Kinder, J. D. Jefferson, Chas. Boesche, John Curtis and Ning Eley, all residents of Des Plaines, Mr. F. E. Bell remaining a minority stockholder in the company with his new associates, and acted as manager and constructing foreman until October, 1902. In October, 1902, W. R. Wheeler was appointed superintendent of the Company. About January 1, 1905, the Des Plaines company purchased the plant of the Chicago company at Park Ridge. In March, 1908, L. M. Morrison succeeded Mr. Wheeler as manager. At the expiration Hof Mr. Morrison's administration as manager, I in March 1911, the company's development in stations in service had grown to 582. J. F. Risser was appointed manager in March, 1911, and the stations grew from 582 to 1106 when the Des Plaines company transferred the plant to the Chicago Company in Edison Park, representing 117 stations. In July, 1912, the company moved their central office to the building at the corner of Pearson and Prairie in Des Plaines, and in January, 1925, the office was moved to 1563 Ellinwood street, the present location, and subscribers were cut over to a central energy or "common battery" system. A new system of A B trunking was also installed at the time which afforded a faster service to Chicago exchanges In October, 1926, Mr. Risser resigned as manager to go into the real estate business and George H. Eck, the then plant superintendent, was advanced to the position of manager. Mr Eley sold the company in November, 1927, to the present owners, W. S. Green and R. H. Coyne of Chicago and the name was changed to the Middle States Telephone Company of Illinois. The Middle States company also operates at Park Ridge, with 3412 telephones and has a group of exchanges around Pekin, Illinois, and is a part of the Middle States Telephone company system which operates exchanges in Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio. It is one of the largest independent companies in the United States. Improved straight forward trunking was installed between Chicago exchanges and Des Plaines in 1929 which afforded even faster and more satisfactory service than the A.B. trunks installed in 1925. The company had 2437 telephones in Des Plaines in 1930 but due to the depression lost 351 phones, but is fast gaining these back and at the present time has 2168 telephone stations in Des Plaines. A gradual increase in telephones has been realized in the last two years. Mr. Eck, the present manager, has been an employee of the company since September, 1907, starting in as a night operator while attending Maine Township High School, 38 years of service. Some of the other faithful employees are Mr. Walter Becker, 23 years: Mr. Fred Domin, 19 years; Mrs. Bessie Tell, 13 years, and Mrs. Kathlyn Taylor, 11 years. Plans for the future include completion of the underground system and a new fireproof office building. MIDDLE STATES TELEPHONE CO. The Only Independent Telephone Company In Cook County DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 25 EFORE YOU BUY ANY LOW-PRICED CAR In fairness to yourself get the facts behind t he widespread enthusiasm for the' Silver Streak Pontiac before you invest in a new car. Spend just 10 minutes in the low-priced car America calls the most beautiful thing on wheels! 1. Triple-Sealed Hydraulic Brakes 2. Solid Steel "Turret-Top" Bodies by Fisher 3. Completely Sealed Chassis 4. Knee-Action on the Eight and De Luxe Six 6. Full-Pressure Metered Flow aLutibornc 7. The Most Beautiful Thing on Wheels 8. Patented Fisher Ventilation 9. Concealed Luggage and Spare Tire Compartment 5. Record-Breaking 10. Productof General Economy Motors *List prices at Pontiac. Mich., begin at $615 for the Six and $730 Jar the Eight (subject to change without notice). Standard group of accessories extra. Available on easy G. M. A. C. Time Payments. General &Mors Value The latest Wayne Hydraulic Hoist combined with the newest Alemite service equipment makes it possible for us to give your car the attention it deserves. AVERILL - LADENDORF MOTOR SALES CO., Des Plaines 656 Pearson St. GOOD USED CARS ALWAYS ON HAND INC. 26 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Compliments J F AM AS — Candies Phone Des Plaines 780 Wholesale Dealer of Cigars — Cigarettes — Tobacco 1570 MINER STREET WE HONOR DES PLAINES Des Plaines Concrete Products Co. C. Gatzke, Prop. 916 NORTH AVENUE Manufacturers PHONE 566 High Quality Concrete Building Units 1923 Compliments of 1935 1925 -7 - 1935 'ff `" °,,oots A. BOCIEK Merchant Tailor 710 Center Street Phone 4 1 2 Des Plaines, Ill. NIEDERT MOTOR SERVICE 0.047., MOVING • Cleaning Pressing MOVING & EXPRESSING Compliments of STORAGE Des Plaines Pastry shop MOTH-PROOFING Home Made Pastries and Cakes 714 Center Street Phone 918 1083 Lee Street Phone 130 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 27 (Continued from page 21) ing about 40 by 60 feet with the tower and is still standing and being used as their church today. The elders and Reverend Detzer laid the cornerstone in a service which marked the celebration of the foundation of the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran church. It was a day of great rejoicing for the German people of Des Plaines. They felt that a great step in preserving their country's religion had been made on the day their church was completed. The first pastor of the Lutheran church was Reverend Adam Detzer, who stayed in Des Plaines for a period of eight years and whose fine qualities as a pastor and leader did much to lay the foundation for the strong Lutheran faith in this community. BALLET OF THE CIVIL WAR — Episode XI Des Plaines joined with the other northern communities to do her part in the preserving of the Union during the days of the Civil strife of 1861-65. We now present an allegorical ballet to picture Civil War history. First, we have the dance of the Blues of the North, next the dance of the Grays of the South. The Clouds of War enter, and create a spirit of battle between the Blues and the Grays. The Spirit of the Union enter on the scene and shortly the Blues and the Grays are working together again to preserve the Union of these United States. In the tableau and center stage, we see General Lee of the South and General Grant of the North joining hands, while the Spirit of Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator, the man who played the greatest part in bringing these two forces together, standing between these two great generals. ELECTION OF 1874 — Episode XII On January 3, 1874, the men of Des Plaines gathered together in the Village Tavern for the business of electing a group of officers to operate the government of the village. After considerable talk, some of which developed into heated arguments, nominations were made and balloting was done by the raising of hands. The results named six trustees as follows: Frank Whitcomb (president); John Behmiller, Theodore Tillston, F. W. Hoffman, E. C. Bennett, and G. G. Talcott. Other officers included E. H. Thomas, clerk; F. W. Bohle, treasurer; W. J. Durham, attorney; and Ira Barchard, constable. The villagers gathered outside the tavern anxiously awaiting the returns of their first election. After the election the men all joined together and, realizing that they had met for the community's good, forgot their pre-election differences and celebrated the happy event. Dancing as we know it today is a far different thing than from the stately minuet of the 70's and it would be only fitting if we were to picture a celebration that would compare Remember when we entered the World War and the Des Plaines boys answered the call all in civies? with the election ball or dances of today that we should picture the dances of 1870, which is the minuet that is now being danced. WORLD WAR TABLEAU — Episode XIII "Time goes on -Days of peace and prosperity, Advancement in education, science and the arts, Then again the cry is heard — War! War! War! Not for conquest — but in an effort to bring A greater Peace — and a greater Brotherhood of Man." In memory of the courageous men and women of Des Plaines and vicinity who served in the World War, we present representatives of the various branches of service and in tableau form show the Coming of Peace. 1. Red Cross Women. 2. Soldiers and American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps. 3. Sailor Girls. 4. U. S. A. Girls. 5. Peace, the desire of all America. Millions have been spent for her. Rivers of blood have been shed for her. Yet, with all the pain, sorrow and anguish, the battle for her has caused our Nation; if she will stay with us now and forever, time will heal our vivid memories of the sacrifices we have made in her name. GRAND FINALE Episode 14 All Pageant participants, in colorful array, pay homage to our National Colors. (Note)—The audience is requested with the pageant cast in the singing of our National Anthem IN MEMORY OF OUR DEPARTED HEROES TAPS We hope that you have found your evening enjoyable and educational. Tell your friends about the "Historical Pageant of Des Plaines." 1912 Telephone Co. Office Back in 1912 the Des Plaines Telephone company office was located at the corner of Pearson and Prairie, where the Recreation Parlors now are located. You can see in the picture J. F. Risser (with straw hat) Geo. Eck (with telephone under arm) , and Walter Becker at extreme left. DES PLAINES TELEPHONE COMPANY 28 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 1913 1935 DES PLAINES AUTO CO. 630 Pearson Street Tel. 284 22 YEARS OF SUCCESSFUL SERVICE TO DES PLAINES AUTOMOBILE OWNERS SALES • • • • SERVICE GRAHAM O. F. WOLF EXPERT AUTOMOTIVE REPAIRS H. A. WOLF R. G. WOLF Compliments of the Following Beauty Parlors: EDNA'S BEAUTY PARLOR 716 1/2 Center Street Phone 37 Marjorie Miller Manz 720 1/2 Center Street Phone 878 MODERNISTIC BEAUTY SHOP rmirrtnrrtyr GLAD-MERE BEAUTY PARLOR 725 Center Street PEARL'S BEAUTY BOX 711 Center Street Mrs. C. A. Davis Phone 200 Phone 801-1 FLANDERS BEAUTY SHOP 1319 Harding Avenue Phone 418-R DES PLAINES BEAUTY PARLOR 1448 Miner Street Phone 856 Compliments of • Compliments of ce CASTLES Lisa R. H. Siebens, Mgr. WALGREEN CO. Des Plaines Store 709 LEE STREET DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 29 Histories Of Des Plaines' Organizations Des Plaines Post No. 36 was one of the first Posts in the State of Illinois to organize — as the number 36 indicates. Even before they had heard that there was such a thing as an American Legion, a group of local ex-service men got together to plan Memorial Day service in cooperation with the G. A. R. and the Women's Relief Corps. After the Memorial Day services these same men met again and under the chairmanship of Doctor Purves, formed the embryo of the present organization. They received their charter as "Des Plaines Post No. 36 of the American Legion, Department of Illinois, in August 1920." Space will not permit more than a brief resume of the growth and activities of that embryo. The Woman's Relief Corps, whom the "boys" think of as mother, presented to the Post their first American flag. A number of the charter members contributed the money for the Post's colors. Meetings were held in a number of places. At first the group met in the village hall. For over a year they gathered at the Thoma Hotel (which was later demolished). The next few years meetings were held in Hoffman's Hall. In 1926, under Commander E. A. Lockett, the boys purchased their present home on Pearson street. Recently that home has been remodeled and now several groups use it, including the "Mother" of the Legion organization. The Post has been fortunate in having had outstanding leaders. Such men as Purves, Heller, Zaleski, Schaff, Price, Nissen, Imig, Lockett, Smith, Gernhardt, Eck, Conover, Biever, Detwiler, and Rieck have built up a standard of leadership which has attracted followers. From the few men whose names were on the application for the charter, the list has grown until at the present time there are over 200 paid up members. The Legion is a "Service" organization in this community. Each year they present medals to a boy and a girl in the various school units who, in the estimation of their associates, have shown the highest standards of ability, leadership and scholarship. All schools in this area have American flags that were presented by the Post, along with large framed copies of the Constitution of the United States. Memorial Day and Fourth of July celebrations are sponsored by the Legion. They, with Park Ridge, inaugurated the Music Festival. The disabled and needy ex-service men rely on one of the best service officers in the state, Walter Becker, when they require help. Des Plaines was awarded third place in the mythical "Hall of Fame" by the State Department for services to the community last year. For the past three years their rifle team has been state champions, and several members hold instructors certificates in the U. S. army in case of an emergency. In 1935 the Sons of Legionnaires were organized in a Squadron. They are active in drum and bugle corps work, junior rifle team work during the winter and aiding in Memorial services, in cooperation with the Legion drum and bugle corps. The American Legion is proud to he a service organization in this community, and to have a part in this Centennial Celebration. With greater possibilities of accomplishment and service before us we will continue "to associate ourselves together for the following purposes: To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a one hundred per cent Americanism; to preserve the memories and incidents of our association in the Great War; to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses; to make right the master of might; to promote peace and good will on earth; to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of freedom, justice and democracy; to consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness." Auxiliary In the Spring of 1923 an attempt was made to form an auxiliary to the local American Legion. It is rather hard, however, to recall just who deserves the credit for trying to organize this society: but, the efforts put forth by Mrs. Adam Imig and Miss Alberta Hodgins are outstanding. Later in the summer a meeting was held in Hoffman's hall. (The exact date of this meeting is not on record). Mrs. Bennett of Barrington was invited to this meeting to assist in organizing. At this meeting Miss Alberta Hodgins was appointed temporary chairman; and, an application was made for a temporary charter. On Sept. 27, 1923, a meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Imig. There were thirteen ladies present and Mrs. Jessie Smith was appointed secretary pro-tem. The following were elected: President, Jessie K. Purves. First Vice-president, Alberta Hodgins. Second Vice-president, Georgia Thornton. Treasurer, Berta J. Lanigan. Chaplain, Jessie C. Smith. Historian, Elizabeth Imig. Sergeant-at-arms, Minnie Miller. There is no record of the exact date of receiving the permanent charter, but it was some time in July or August, 1924. Charter Members Mrs. Carrie Allison, Mrs. Jeanette Baranski, Mrs. Mary Bosworth, Mrs. Helene Earle, Mrs. Elsie Fisher, Mrs. Louise Haedike, Mrs. Anna Harmon, Miss Mary Heller, Mrs. Minnie Heller, Mrs. Mary Hodgins, Miss Alberta Hodgins, Miss Marian Hodgins, Mrs. Irene 'Hoffman, Mrs. Elizabeth Imig, Mrs. Constance Kayser, Mrs. Lillian Keedy, Mrs. Berta J. Lanigan, Mrs. Helen Liewerenz, Mrs. Minnie Miller, Mrs. Alma Nissen, Miss Hazel Poyer, Mrs. Elizabeth Poyer, Mrs. Emma Poyer, Mrs. Mary Pflughaupt, Mrs. Jessie K. Purves, Mrs. Anna Seng, Mrs. Clara Sengstock, Mrs. Jessie C. Smith, Mrs. Georgia Thornton, Mrs. Mary Zaleski. Past Presidents Mrs. Jessie K. Purves 1923.24 Mrs. Elizabeth Imig 1924.25 Mrs. Bertha Koehler 1925-26 Miss Hazel Poyer 1926-27 Mrs. Lillian Keedy 1927.29 Mrs. Florence Koelling 1929.31 Mrs. Florence Detwiler 1931.33 Space does not permit us to give detailed information regarding the service rendered to Hines, Elgin, North Chicago, Dwight, and Great Lakes hospitals as well as hundreds of individual cases in our own city where clothing, money, food, cigarettes, magazines, entertainment, medical care, Christmas gifts, etc., give a bit of comfort and cheer to the unfortunate. Orphans of ex-soldiers have been adopted, cared for and remembered on birthdays and Christmas; monthly donations to the welfare nurse's salary; funds to help one boy each year to attend the R. 0. T. C. summer camp; sponsoring a Poppy Day poster contest in all schools every year, with cash prizes, etc. We have in our local organization one Gold Star Mother, Mrs. Carolina Biha, and one Gold Star Sister, Miss Carolyn Biha. Under our present able and untiring president, Mrs. Mildred Leis, the organization has grown to over 90 paid-up members who give generously to support the principles for which the Auxiliary stands. The Boy Scout organization made its inception in Des Plaines in the spring of 1916. The credit of organizing the first troop is due the Des Plaines Womens Club which at that time was headed by Mrs. Ransom (Continued on page 35) 30 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 14 Years with the ELGIN WATCH Factory SILVERWARE -::ELGIN — BULOVA HAM I LTON WATCH ES JEWELRY of All Kinds "Gifts of Distinction' . E. F. RICHERT, JEWELER ESTABLISHED 1932 Compliments of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" WATCH and CLOCK REPAIRING 708 CENTER STREET DES PLAINES, ILL. Compliments of the following Barbers: Metzger Ice Co. Phone 157-W Ballard Road +— RALPH'S BARBER SHOP 1438 Miner Street —+— J. A. REDMAN 712 Center Street - +— Butch's Tavern Meister-Brau 1572 Miner Street Phone 425 HERB SCHAEFER 1404 Prairie Avenue - +— K. C. MILNER 1448 Miner Street FRIENDSHIP OF LORD & BURN HAM COMPANY GREEN HOUSE MANUFACTURERS AND BUILDERS DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 31 I Des Plaines Public Library plays an important part in the history of Des Plaines. Elsie Earle is librarian. *** 27; Subject of much controversy, the old freight house is now moved. The new State Bank building stands just south of where the peculiarly shaped Nissen building stands in this picture. Des Plaines' Postoffice which was erected in 1930 and has served its purpose well since that date. Arthur L. Larson is now postmaster. The Evangelical Lutheran Gymnasium is one of the finest of its class in the northwest suburban area. It was constructed in 1930. building stood on the southwest corner of 25 years ago—before the fire—the Behrens Pearson and Ellinwood. This corner is now vacant. 32 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM COMPLIMENTS OF Established 1929 COOK COUNTY FARMERS' MUTUAL INSURANCE CO. 688 Lee Street LEE STREET MARKET Blume Bros. Phone 6 COOK COUNTY TRUCK GARDENERS' AWN 723 Pearson St. COMPLIMENTS OF DES PLAINES THEATRE "FIRST WITH THE FINEST" Geo. Steil, Secy. August Geweke, Pres. Ben F. Eidamiller & Co. INVESTMENTS REAL ESTATE MORTGAGES INSURANCE Mezzanine Floor State Bank Building Phone 912 1928 1935 I Over-Awl Paint Store C. F. Carlson, Mgr. G. J. Liebich Co. Products WALL PAPER 714 Lee Street PAINTS Phone 201 Prairie Lee Paint Store Tom and Emil Super Good for Another Century PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER VALSPAR WALL PAPER 718-20 Lee Street H erman Wolf LEE STREET GARAGE 1095 LEE STREET Tel. 717 PAINTS Phone 432 DOWNTOWN SALES 1300 ELLINWOOD STREET Tel. 576 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 33 HOMECOMING CHURCH DAY Sun., June 30 You Are Cordially Invited to Attend Some Church Service FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH Graceland Avenue and Marion Street A. W. BARWICK, Pastor Church School, 9:30 A. M. Worship, 10:45 A. M. ST. MARY'S OF THE CROSS TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH 1026 Rose Avenue L. G. BALD, Pastor Bible School Divine Service 9:30 A. M. 10:45 A. M. ATTEND CHURCH SUNDAY Catholic Church Pearson Street and Prairie Avenue Rev. John Linden Masses 7:30 - 9:30 - 10:45 A. M. Children's Mass 8:30 A. M. Beads Benediction 2:00 P. M. CHRIST EVANG. CHURCH Cora Street and Henry Avenue GEO. W. GOEBEL, Pastor 9:00 A. M. Sunday School 10:00 A. M. English Worship 11:00 A. M. German Worship FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST Laurel Avenue and Marion Street Sunday morning 11 o'clock IMMAN. EV. LUTH. CHURCH Corner Lee and Thacker Streets OTTO C. A. BOECLER, Pastor Bible Class, Sunday School 9:45 A. M. German 9:30 A. M. English 11:00 A. M. METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH Lee Street and Park Place REV. P. T. BOHI, Pastor Sunday School Worship 9:30 A. M. 10:45 A. M. BIBLE FAITH CHURCH WALTER R. FAUST, Pastor Bible School 9:30 A. M. Morning Worship 11:00 A. M. Immanuel Lutheran Church Trinity Lutheran Church Christ Evangelical Church 31 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 1895 1935 United Motor Coach buses such as this, capable of comfortably carrying 38 passengers. are making regular schedules with watch-like precision and regularity on all United Motor Coach Co. routes The late Dr. E. A. Manuel operated his original "bus" compan y from this stable in 1895. The present home of the United Motor Coach Co. is a far cry from the original 1895 building. 40 YEARS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE URING this the Centennial Celebration of Des Plaines, we feel justly proud of our record of 40 years community service. As far back as 1895 our organization has been linked hand in hand with Des Plaines in its growth. Dr. E. A. Manuel, founder of the United Motor Coach company, little thought years ago when he came to Des Plaines that he would some day head a transportation system that was serving a vital and important need in the northwest suburban region. Starting as a veterinarian, with a livery stable and horse-drawn "buses," then two open touring cars, then a motored bus, Dr. Manuel left, at his death in 1931 a modern transportation system with a fleet of 30 motor D coaches serving the communities of Des Plaines, Park Ridge, Niles, Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Tessville, Rogers Park, Canfield, Mt. Prospect, Arlington Heights, Palatine, and Barrington. The routes served by the United buses total over 70 miles, linking the communities above mentioned with a transportation service that has played an important part in their life and development. The present officers of the company include: Martha Manuel, president: John Muvrin (founder and former president of the White Line company), vice-president; Leonard E. Manuel, secretary-treasurer and general manager. UNITED MOTOR COACH COMPANY DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 35 (Continued from page 29) Ken nicott. M rs. Ken nicott interested Mr. Edwin D. MacLuckie, then superintendent of Des Plaines schools in the project. Other citizens that were actively interested were Messrs. A. L. Webster, Chas. Kemmell and Harold Abbott, a Scoutmaster from Park Ridge. Those who remember Mr. Abbott will recall him as one who fitted the part in character, spirit, ability and activity. The Scouts thought very highly of him and although he has passed on every year on Memorial Day they place a wreath on his grave in Maine Township cemetery. The one troop grew into two and during the war the local scouts along with those throughout the entire nation assisted in Liberty Loan drives and such but due to the many other activities and responsibilities placed upon the men in charge the activity in scouting ceased for a time. It again enters the picture in Des Plaines history about 1920 as another troop was formed. This like the first, grew into two troops which were known as troops 1 and 2. When the Northwest Suburban Council was organized in 1926 they became troops 5 and 6. The latter, sponsored by the Des Plaines Lions club is still active and proudly cherishes its long and fruitful record. Under council leadership and supervision, adult leaders were recruited and trained through numerous training courses and other troops, one by one, were added to the roster until at the present time Des Plaines may proudly boast of its six scout troops. They are: Troop 6 of the Methodist Church. Troop 12 sponsored by the Lions Club. Troop 13 sponsored by the V. F. W. Troop 14 of the Congregational Church. Troop 20 of the Congregational Church. Troop 25 sponsored by the Junior High School P.T. A. With the development of a national younger boys program known as Cubbing, Des Plaines was the first community in the council to organize a cub pack. This is now known as Pack 214 of the Des Plaines Congregational Church. During the last five years alone the Boy Scout work has had an 80% increase in membership in Des Plaines. 100 years of progress! But the last ten are of the most importance in history of the Girl Scouts. This organization was introduced to Des Plaines in 1925. Mrs. Charles F. Loesch of Hawthorne Lodge in Des Plaines was the captain of this troop of girls, many of whom are now leaders in Girl Scouting. By 1927 the troops had grown so rapidly that help in leadership was quite necessary. Marian Hodgins became captain of Troop 1 and Mrs. Loesch acted as commissioner. Today, Miss Hodgins is in charge of all troops in Des Plaines. In 1930 Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Loesch purchased a tract of land on Rice Lake near Edgerton, Wisconsin, and presented it to the Girl Scouts of Des Plaines for a camp site. Girls from all suburban communities attend this camp and the registration is overflowing each year. Ten years of scouting and we have ten troops of Girl Scouts and two Brownie Packs. Leaders of the troops are as follows: Troop 1, MaTian Hodgins; 2, Helen Huxmann; 3 , Maryalice Lauten; 4, Mrs. Einar Anderson; 5, Hespera North, assisted by Helen Grienke; 6, Mrs. John Rietz; 7, Mrs. George Rudolph; 8, Mrs. Alfred Kayser; 9, Erma McLane Dotts, assisted by Jeanne Vildebille; and 10, Mrs. James Beaumont. The Brownie Packs are for children from seven to ten years of age. The leaders are as follows: Pack No. 1 is Mrs. Alfred Ahbe, assisted by Jane McKinley, and Pack No. 2 is Mrs. Lee Robins, assisted by Mrs. L. H. Shropshire. The Girl Scout Council is an active group of women including Mrs. Charles Loesch, commissioner; Mrs. A. F. Longren, treasurer; Mrs. James Gibbs, secretary; Mrs. W. L. Plew, chairman camp committee; Mrs. Charles Grienke, chairman of training and personnel committee; Mrs. A. F. Longren, chairman finance committee; Mrs. A. C. Vildebille, chairman ways and means committee; and Mrs. Clifford Carlson, chairman of awards and standards committee. Application for a charter for a Des Plaines unit of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States was made by a group of local ex-service men here. The move to establish a unit here came in line with a veterans' defense rally and drive in which the V. F. W. hopes to increase their membership by 100,000. Adolph Lanctot, 1509 Whitcomb avenue, was active on the group seek- Mg a charter from the V. F. W. for Des Plaines, called the drive a new call to arms in a nation-wide drive for reinforcements in the fight for a square deal. Other names on the charter application included Max J. Goertz, August Braun, John J. Braun, John Becker, Myles Courtney, Roland J. White, Samuel C. Campagna, and Edwin F. Murphy. The group met Tuesday night, February 6th, 1934, at Mr. Lanctot's home, 1509 Whitcomb avenue. All interested ex-servicemen were invited to attend this meeting and join up with these local boys establishing a Veterans of Foreign Wars unit here. Ex-service men who expected to secure a charter for Des Plaines from the Veterans of Foreign Wars national organization, met Wednesday, Feb. 12th, at the home of A. Lanctot, 1509 Whitcomb avenue. The organizing Des Plaines chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars received their charter from the national organization in a gala celebration and event here Sunday, April 8th, elected officers; Adolph Lanctot, who had been instrumental in organizing the Des Plaines unit, was elected commander. Other officers of the organization include Edwin F. Murphy, senior vicecommander; Max J. Goertz, junior vicecommander; John Becker, adjutant; Sam Campagna, quartermaster, and John Braun, officer of the day. Trustees of the unit include Roy Winn, August Braun and Michael Jones. We sponsor Boy Scout Troop No. 13 and Honor troop of the Northwest Suburban Council, and a softball team which travels around advertising the V. F. W. of Des Plaines. We bowl in season, not always on top, but — We expect to dedicate the flag pole at Rand Park and furnish flag for same. All in all we are out to do the community a good turn whenever possible and at this time we thank all our friends for their support. Organized March 14, 1934, and instituted April 8, 1934, with 22 members, we now number 57 members in all. AUXILIARY Sunday, April 7, 1935, witnessed the celebration of the first anniversary of the existence of our Post. It was fittingly celebrated with the institution of the Ladies' Auxixliary. The ceremony was to have been held at the Junior high school, where a large crowd had assembled. Unfortunately, due to unforseen weather conditions, the instituting officers failed to arrive as per schedule. In the meantime the Boys' Band of St. Mary's Training school furnished (Continued on page 37) 36 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM In memory of the JOHN SUSTER, Pres. DEWEY IMIG, Sec'y. "GOOD OLD DAYS" We invite you to ride a bike during Centennial Week Newsom-Macklin Co. PICTURE FRAMES Corner State and Kinzie Sts. HESS RENT-A-BIKE Cor. River Rd. and Pearson St. Phone 888 Chicago New York Office: 233 Fifth Avenue GOODRICH COMPLIMENTS of GOLDEN PLY SILVERTOWNS MOTORISTS KNOW DANGER Thousands have experienced the pangs of those awful seconds. America is full of men and women who have gone through that horror. Motorists write to Goodrich every day about their blow-out experiences They are telling Goodrich dealers everywhere about their narrow escapes from serious injury and death. These are the motorists who won't gamble on tires again. They are buying the best protection they can get at any price — Goodrich Golden Ply Silvertowns. DES PLAINES MERCANTILE CO. 694 Lee Street COMPLIMENTS Pure Oil Products Service Stations Wm. J. Ladendorf Sales and Pearson and Service Tel. 1630 Rand Rd. A. C. KAYSER CHAS. ANDERSON Miner Cumberland — Des Plaines Phone 747 672 Tel. 774 COMPLIMENTS COMPLIMENTS Poyer \ash Sales Des Plaines Prove. Co. 736 Center St. Phone 116 1586-90 Miner Street Tel. 184 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 87 (Continued from page 3 5 ) WOMAN'S CLUB In the year 1912 there was organized in Des Plaines a club choosing for its name "The Woman's Club of Des Plaines," its object "the intellectual improvement of its members and the bettering of civic conditions in Des Plaines." At this time the club became affiliated with the State Federation of Woman's Clubs and also with the Seventh District. The first president was Mrs. John H. Longley. Shortly after the organization of this club the name automatically became the Des Plaines Woman's Club rather than the Woman's Club of Des Plaines. Years before this a similar club also using this name was in existence, which had no affiliation with state or district. Many of these "charter" members, as they arc referred to in the records, joined the new organization in 1912 and carried on the same type of literary and civic work. As the club grew in membership and program the meeting places were changed from homes to the Library and subsequent places of meeting were the South Division school, the High school, the Library, the Legion Home, the Masonic Temple, and finally the Community House of the Congregational church. During its entire life the club has continued to be very much civic-minded and among other things can take credit for being instrumental in landscaping the library grounds. Mr. Loesch very kindly donated the trees and Mr. Ransom Kennicott superintended their planting and also the planting of shrub3 furnished by the Woman's Club. The club has always been interested in furthering new projects in the schools such as furnishing table linen and glassware for one of the domestic science departments. Their relation toward the Parent-Teachers Organization has always been on the most cooperative terms. In fact, the ParentTeacher Association was sponsored by the Woman's Club. Other clubs which had their beginning as working committees of our club until such time as they grew to individual club proportions are the Garden Club and the Brush and Pencil Club. In the early years, the club sponsored and chaperoned municipal dances. The Park Ridge School for Girls, the Little Wanderers' Day Nursery, the Chicago Woman's Shelter have been recipients of many donations and showers through this club, and the Red Cross Roll Call, the Christmas Seal Drive for the Chicago Tuberculosis Institute, and the Boy Scout Membership Drive always find their places on the Woman's Club work program. the entertainment. There were short talks by Commander Lanctot and Commie McCune, also Comrade Flesch of Mount Prospect Post. Shortly after 4 clock the assemblage adjourned to the V. F. W. clubrooms to await the belated arrival of the instituting officers, who arrived shortly after, having driven all the way from Kankakee through a blinding snowstorm. Following the introduction of various national and departmental officers, Mrs. Harriet Marquard, Dept. Treasurer, proceeded with the instituting of the Post Auxiliary. Installation of officers as follows then followed: Cecilia M. Lanctot, president; Mabel Murphy, Sr. vice Pres.; Florence Graetz, Jr. Vice Pres.; Anna Wright, Sec.; Mayme Hausner, Treas.; Bertha Landry, Chap.; Jewel Thompson, Cond.; Vera Schwanbeck, guard; Mamie Crement, trustee; Bertha Winzler, trustee, and Doris Gould, trustee. Following this (Daddy) Henry F. Marquard, National Judge Advocate of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, gave an inspiring address and extended the well wishes of himself and the V. F. W. for a successful future to the Women's Auxiliary. A program of music and dancing concluded the ceremonies after which Post No. 2992 entertained with an open house. The Des Plaines Lions Club owes much to its first president W. B. Melzer, who took over the rein of organization the first two years the club existed — having been chartered May 5, 1924. The original membership was forty in number. Other past presidents to follow Melzer were: Victor L. Spiegler, 1926.27; Walter Poyer, 1927.28; Edwin H. Schulze, 1928.29; Fred A. Fulle, 192930; W. L. Plew, 1930.31; Henry Sigwalt, 1931.32; William A. Townsend, 1932.33; C. T. Hill, 1933-34; W. C. Oehler, 1934-35. The membership of the Lions Club at present is 81. Having always been a civic club the Lions' principal activities are blind work, tubercular work and civic enterprises. Among its civic enterprises is the sponsoring of the present Centennial Celebration. Meetings and dinners are every first and third Tuesday evening of the month and during President Oehler's regime these meetings have included interesting speakers and splendid entertainment. Raymond C. Schulze will be the next president of the Lions club. The Garden department of the Des Plaines Woman's Club was the nucleus from which the Des Plaines Garden Club grew. In June, 1931, the newly formed, separate organization met at the home of Mrs. H. Von Hoist. The first officers were: Mrs. G. S. Cook, president; Mrs. Sidney Wiffin, vice president: Mrs. F. A. Helm, treasurer; and Mrs. W. H. Forsyth, secretary. From this small group of women, who are interested in gardens and gardening, has grown the present organization with its fifty-three members. Present officers: Mrs. Frank Marietta, president; Mrs. Erich Schalk, vice president; Mrs. Mathia Klein, treasurer, and Mrs. Walter Poyer, secretary. Des Plaines lodge No. 1526, of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was instituted in Des Plaines in B.P.O.E. 1926. Started with the idea proposed by H. True Wilson and George Whitcomb, generally considered the founders of the lodge here, the organization in its early years reached outstanding highs in fraternal activity and growth. Patriotic, benevolent and charitable, the Elks have played an important part in community life and activity, furthering all patriotic movements, presenting an annual public flag day program and sharing in Thanksgiving and Christmas basket distribution among the needy. The annual Children's Christmas Party is a joint idea and activity of Lions and Elks. The lodge today is headed by Joseph J. Svoboda as Exalted Ruler. A. L. Winkelman is secretary, and Fred A. Fulle, Jerry J. Kalal, Herman Boeger, Lee W. Barcroft and Walter E. Nelson comprise the board of trustees. Other officers are Clarence L. \Ville, leading knight; Carl J. Drexler, loyal knight; Albert R. Schmidt, lecturing knight; Edwin F. Murphy, secretary; T. R. Hess, tiler: Walter Morava, esquire; Lee F Nettland, chaplain and John Bremer, inner guard. Jack P. Eaton was first exalted ruler of the organization, later served the national fraternity as personal representative of the national leader in the northeast Illinois section. Other exalted rulers have been Clifford J. Hodgins, William H. Brown, George Burman, J. C. Lorton, Fred A. Fulle, E. H. Rittmueller, James J. Johnston and Fran: A. Koehler. Membership is from this northwest section of Chicago, including Palatine, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Park Ridge, Niles Center and Niles, Wheeling and Des Plaines: 38 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Des Plaines Building and Loan Ass'n A Home for Your Money — Money for Your Home Thirteen Years of Successful Operation in this community Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago 721 Pearson St. Phone 369-W Members U. S. Building & Loan League Illinois Building & Loan League Congratulations, Des Plaines! (hi your centennial . Just think . . . 100 years of hard, aggressive work by fearless men and women; planning, sacrifice, and cooperation. And probably, most important of all, Thrift. All to make life easier and happier for those of us who are following to do our part. Your A P Food Store is doing this very thing daily, as A P Food Stores have done for the past 76 years, constantly trying to offer you more for your money in service . . . quality . . . and convenience. NILLES OIL COMPANY PLANT LOCATED AT HIGGINS and MANNHEIM ROADS "HEAT WITH OIL" OWNED and OPERATED BY PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS Tel. Park Ridge 1223 Tel. Des Plaines 909 OF A. W. NILLES METERED SERVICE MEANS EXACT GALLONAGE DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 39 Des Plaines' Graded Schools UCH of the early history of the Des Plaines graded school system was lost in the past. No one seems to know when the first school building was built. We do know that in 1874, a four room brick building replaced an old two-room frame structure on the present North school grounds. That brick building still stands as the north half of the North Division building. The south half of the building was added in 1894. The first part of the Central school building was built in 1906. The present West school was erected in 1923. Then in 1929 eight rooms were added to the Central school. The present Junior high school building was purchased in 1932 from the Maine Township High School Board. The following superintendents have administered the system in District 62, although some of the exact dates are lacking: J. Q. Adams was superintendent in 1886. At a later date his wife, Mrs. Adams, served as principal. A man by the name of Smith had charge of the school at some time between 1886 and 1890 for a short period. E. Quantril served until about 1891 or 1892. He was followed by Leopold Schroeder who served until 1902. In 1902 W. Don Smith became superintendent and held that position until succeeded by Mr. Edwin D. MacLuckie in 1915. Mr. MacLuckie was superintendent until 1922 when Mr. Harry E. Knarr served from 1922 until 1929. Our present superintendent E. R. SeHeck took over the system in 1929. The earliest graduating classes available are those of the year 1900 and the year 1901, which are as follows: Class of 1900 George Scharringhausen, Elizabeth Meinshausen, Marion Florence Schroeder, Grant Witten, Alma Sail:tram, William Goede, Otto Warkentine, Otto Tosch, Minnie Reinecke, Florence Watson, Lydia Cain, Jean StewaTt. Arthur Flentge, Henry Heesch, Edwin Dollen. Class of 1901 Walter Held, Joseph Gettinger, Benjamin Kinder, Paul Stott, Paul Scharringhausen, Fred Scharringhausen, Louis Beer, Nellie E. Jones, Jennie Peterson, Bernice Gillmore, Amelia Held, Elsie Held, Ruth Sabin, Mary Watson, Maude Littleford. Among the names of those who have served on the Board of Education, we find the following: M BY E. R. SELLECK, Supt. JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL NORTH DIVISION SCHOOL CENTRAL SCHOOL WEST DIVISION SCHOOL Peter M. Hoffman, Dr A. M. Purves,RichadLngE.Joes,HC Geils, F. C. Brasel, Mrs. Georgia Thornton, Henry D. Neve, H. T. Bennett, H. H. Talcott, B. L. Franzen, Jr., Elsie Held, J. Radloff, Wm. G. Niehaus, Mrs. Eda Day, Charles H. Lueck, J. H. Allison. Our present Board of Education: Morris E. Houser, George H. Eck, Walter W. Held, Otto F. Wolf, Oscar W. Blume, Dr. C. J. Hill, Julius O. Randahl. It is the aim of the Board of Education of District 62 to provide as broad and varied a program of child training and development as possible. 40 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 1926 1935 L CALABRESE FRUITS :: VEGETABLES :: GROCERIES I- ANN'S FOOD SHOP GROCERY AND DELICATESSEN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES 690 Lee Street Phone 667 R - 712 Lee Street Tel. 347 COMPLIMENTS Always First with New Creations — at Lowest Possible Prices MAY WE SERVE YOU? the McAllister-Wallace Ladies' and Children's Wear Dry Goods cx" Women's Specialty Shop OF DES PLAINES 700 Lee Street Tel. 525 1496 Miner Street Tested and Approved by Des Plaines Homemakers 1475 Ellinwood Street Next Door Woolworth's to • Clean White Stores Self-Service • Low Prices Every Day • Larger Selection DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 41 HOME OF MARY'S HOMEMADE ICE CREAM EL-RENO (Formerly the Isle of Man Annex) River and Rand Roads Serving Italian Spaghetti and Ravioli Chicken and Steak Dinners MONARCH BEER Domestic and Imported Wines and Liquors Eddie Ricco MARY'S SWEET SHOP 1505 Ellinwood Street, Corner Center Street Telephone 629 We Are Happy To Chas. Bianchi Compliments COMPLIMENT DES PLAINES W.G.N. ILLINOIS A. G. BADE & SON Wholesale Paper 1129 Algonquin Road Telephone 630 Flag & Decorating Co. (Official Decorators) 7823 CLYDE AVENUE, CHICAGO Compliments of SINCLAIR SERVICE STATIONS THE Des Plaines Journal CHRIST WEGNER SERVICE STATION River Road near Rand WHETSTONE SERVICE STATION Ashland Avenue and Lee Street WETTERMAN SERVICE STATION YOUNG BUT AMBITIOUS River Road, 2 Blocks South of Oakton "We, Too, Made History With Our Toasted Chicken" Congratulations from ESTABLISHED 1932 1557 Ellinwood Street Des Plaines Illinois Lenox Chicken Hut N. E. Corner Rand and River Roads Budweiser Beer Mixed Drinks 42 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM COMPLIMENTS "FOR NEARLY HALF A CENTURY" MILES EQUIPMENT CO. Manufacturers of W. L. THORNE CO. WATER SUPPLY CONTRACTORS AUTOMOTIVE ACCESSORIES DES PLAINES ILLINOIS CONGRATULATIONS TEST BORINGS ROCK WELLS GRAVEL PACKED SCREEN WELLS W E I, L S PUMPS MAINTENANCE BORNHOFF'S Milwaukee Avenue Glenview, Ill. AIRY Municipal, Industrial Water Works PHONE DES PLAINES 3015-M Des Plaines, Illinois CONGRATULATIONS ON HISTORY OF National Tea Company Des Plaines, Ill. 100 Years of Progress The National Tea Company Food Stores join in congratulating Des Plaines on this its one hundredth anniversary. May our friendly relations continue as in the past. Saving Food Est. 1899 NATIONAL Food Stores TEA CO. National Tea Co. opened its first store in Des Plaines fifteen years ago when they took over a cooperative store on Miner street. That was the start of an ever increasing host of friends that National has built for itself. From the little store on Miner street, employing only a manager and one part-time clerk, National has developed into a regular housewives' headquarters for quality foods, and has grown so rapidly that a larger, more complete grocery and market had to be built. This new food store now employs five people. In 1926 another unit was opened at 732 Center street, which now has three employees to help give courteous service to our many patrons. This store likewise, has grown with the town and now also serves as modern food-shopping headquarters to its many friends in Des Plaines. DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 43 Des Plaines Centennial Queen and Court Of Honor Were Selected From Top row, reading from left to right: Marjorie Johnson, Meta Dahill. Blanche Peterson, Margaret Traub, Irene Winn, Violet Blume, Mary Hanus, Dorothy Allison. Fourth row: Dorothy Robinson, Kathryn Wells, Mary Jane O'Donnell, Vesper Fulle, Lucille Armborst, Marjorie Huck, Eleanor Selig, Irene Hintz, Evelyn Dean. Third row: Winona Laatsch, Ruth Richardson, Rose Alonge, Loretta O'Brien, Leona Raack, Catherine Bayer, Jane Johnson, Sue Meehan, Evelyn Horack. Second row: Francis Gould. Marian Knittle, Irene Mueller, Dorothy Boedeker, Laura Kennard, Marguerite Wilson, Caroline Mergenthaler, Virginia Johnson, Lucille Prafke. First row: Betty Rubey, Janet Geils, Marion Toepper, Alice McLane, Mary Calabrese, Mildred Eisenbeis, Christina Wollar, Marie Foydl, and Ruth Conover. Coiffures for the ten Court of Honor Girls by Edna's Beauty Shop Al* LORD & BURNHAM ARE THE OLDEST MANUFACTURERS AND BUILDERS OF GREENHOUSES IN THIS COUNTRY. ESTABLISHED IN 1856. DES PLAINES FACTORY BUILT IN 1910. Lord & Burnham Plant at Des Plaines, Illinois 44 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Confidence • • The confidence which motorists display in the honesty and integrity of Standard Servismen and Standard Oil Dealers is something we are very proud of. Through the years the Standard Oil group of local merchants (11 independent dealers and one company service station) has grown and fostered a splendid tradition of dependable, helpful service. Serving the people of Des Plaines every day, and regularly acting as courteous host to visitors and travelers who pass through the town — they go far beyond their ordinary jobs of giving each customer exactly what he pays for. You will notice that they render many out-of-theordinary services that make motoring pleasanter, safer and more economical. The same is true of those employes who drive trucks, and those who deliver Stanolex Fuel Oil for home heating. We believe that confidence is our greatest asset. And we are proud to share this neighborly spirit with the people of Des Plaines. DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 45 HEAD LEADING INDUSTRY Dealers IN GenralMchdis CORS ETS Pe_ Ste ls W. D. Steele .1. H. Fall, Jr. In a spirit of neighborly friendship it is not only my personal privilege but in addition as Chairman of Benjamin Electric Company and on their behalf to extend to Des Plaines and to her citizens, on this One Hundredth Birthday celebration, Congratulatory Greetings. The Benjamin Electric Company is happy to be identified with your progress and achievements and in connection therewith it has been a privilege to us to contribute constructive help and service, as opportunity offered, in every way we could properly extend it. On this, your Centennial, may I offer sincerest congratulations as president of the Benjamin Electric Manufacturing Company and on behalf of our employees to the City of Des Plaines. As a company we are happy to be identified with your community and consider it a privilege to always be of any constructive service possible. JULY 4th 1903 PARADE It was, indeed, a notable occasion when the various organiztshed rfoapbcknJuly4,1903.Ithe foreground of this picture we see what might at first seem to be Spanish American War Veterans, but on good authority we understand it is the uniform of a political faction of those days. People who are principals in the Pageant which is to he presented as a feature of the Centennial have been selected by the director, Mr. Lemmon. They are as follows: First Train Officials: Mr. Charles Stewart Mrs. John Leahy Mr. Ransom Kennicott, Sr. First Marriage METHODIST CAMP GROUNDS Bride: Mrs. Savena Abbe Gorsline Minister: Herbert Behrel Groom: Mr. Jack Vandy Mr. and Mrs. Long: Mr. and Mrs. Otto Johns William Wille Mr. and Mrs. Fred Grcwe Fred Scharringhausen Louis Kreft William Boeckenhauer Mr. and Mrs. William Nolte Ernest TaggeDavid Hanns First German Families and is offering this summer the most extended and worthwhile program in all of its history. This is the first year of the Summer School conducted by Illinois Wesleyan University, which opened on June 17, at the Camp Grounds. Numerous meetings for education, inspiration and recreation will be carried on through July. Groups from Sunday schools, Epworth Leagues and other church organizations find the Can Grounds ideal for picnics, conferences, retreats, institutes and other summer activities. Summer Assembly at Camp Grounds will be from July 7 21. The Des THE 76th Annualheldand controlledtobyJulythe MethodistPlaines Camp Grounds are owned Chicagoland Methodism George Kinder C. L. Bishop John Lemke James Carroll, Jr. Hobart Ahbe Fred Fulle E. D. MacLuckie Sam Campagna Theodore Swanbeck E. A. Frederick Edgar Friedrich Kenneth Meyer Otto Henrich Creation Ballet Soloist: Ruth Kurtz Peace: Dorothy Ahbe Lincoln: Bob Wetterman Grant: Hammerl Lee: Fowler World War Narrators: Walter Morava, J. J. Healy Early School Scene First Election Teacher: Harriet Rand 4 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 50 YEARS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE it THE DES PLAINES SUBURBAN TIMES PUBLISHED EVERY FRIDAY SINCE 1885 We Congratulate It is fitting that at this the Centenary of Des Plaines that we offer our heart felt congratulations and sincenst best wishes to everyone in this area. Perhaps somewhat trite, but nevertheless we also might say that we hope that the next 100 years are even more successful and glorified than the past. We Are Proud FoT the part we have played in the Des Plaines drama, we are indeed proud. While we have never claimed to be the hero, neither have we tried to take the part of the villian. As a small town newspaper, our policy has always been to tell as much GOOD news about everyone as possible and eliminate the had wherever it is feasible with good newspaper practice. DES PLAINES PUBLISHING COMPANY FRED A. FULLE, Owner 729 PEARSON ST. TELEPHONE 100 DES PLAINES DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM 47 The WILBERT World's Only Sweatproof Burial Vault SOLD BY ALL REPUTABLE UNDERTAKERS Reasonably Priced Everywhere The AMERICAN VAULT WORKS, Inc., opened their plain at Des Plaines in 1924, at which time two men were employed, and 200 vaults were delivered that year. During the following ten years the sales have steadily increased, so that in 1934 nineteen employees were on the active payroll, and 3650 vaults were delivered. This steady increase in business, especially during the depressed years recently encountered, is considered an outstanding achievement, and is attributed to the high standards of merchandise maintained by the Company at all times. The American Vault Works • • INC. • o Chicago Forest Park Des Plaines 48 DES PLAINES CENTENNIAL PROGRAM Congratulations fro m DES PLAINES MOTOR SALES, Inc. W. A. TOWNSEND CHEVROLET SALES and SERVICE 1500 MINER STREET TELEPHONE 550 State Bank Building Evanston, Ill. MAC MOT OR Telephones: Greenleaf 3200 Rogers Park 8000 ACCEPTANCE COMPANY Ten Years Automobile Financing Service In Des Plaines Our friendly relationship with the five local automobile dealers listed below has caused us to feel that we have played a definite part in the growth and prosperity of Des Plaines. Through these dealers we have had amicable dealings with hundreds of your families. On this your Centennial may we extend sincere thanks for 10 years of business relations and hearty congratulations on your 100 years growth and prosperity. and Motor Acceptance Company Financing as well as refinancing of present balance through Motor Loan Company is available through AVERILL-LADENDORF MOTOR SALES, Inc. DES PLAINES MOTOR SALES, Inc. WM. J. LADENDORF MELZER AUTO SALES PURNELL & WILSON, Inc. 1925 1935 DES PLAINES REALTY Co. Inc. Real Estate Investments & Insurance CELEBRATING OUR 10th YEAR Specializing in Suburban Real Estate and a General Insurance Business 1835.1935 DES PLAINES we salute you On your One Hundredth Birthday we salute you. Des Plaines! We extend to you and to your citizens our heartiest congratulations. Your record throughout the past one hundred years has been evidenced by. fidelity to Nation and State, and you should be justly proud of it. We hope your achievements throughout the century upon which you are now entering will be even more glorious. During the past quarter century the Benjamin Electric Mfg. Company and the town of Des Plaines have grown side by side. Your rise has been our rise. Your hopes and ambitions have been ours. Both have been fused together in a common bond of interest and achievement which shall endure. IN SINCERE APPRECIATION 11°4 Aolu% - To those of your citizens who have worked to bring this organization to its present position, we wish particularly, at this time, to express our deep and sincere appreciation for the loyal and unstinting services they have rendered. Their admirable spirit is truly reflected, we believe, in the high character of their citizenship. To the merchants, business people, public officials and social groups we offer our felicitations and good wishes. The enterprise and high principles of all are brought to most fitting fruition on this most memorable and historic occasion. Therefore, citizens of Des Plaines, as good Americans, loyal to our principles of government and to our Constitution, let us all face the future and march proudly forward together. Great as have been the accomplishments of the Des Plaines of the past, in tender retrospection we submerge these memories in our hopes for the Des Plaines of the future and say, "ALL HAIL!" Benjamin Electric Mfg. Co.